Sunday, September 30, 2012

Family Life (stress)

It's been a crazy weekend in our house. We are all finally getting healthy again after being sick for the past couple weeks. First both kids, then I got it, then my husband. And, now that I've finished my course of antibiotics and my husband is almost done with his, we were ready to start feeling better. That is, until our 4 year-old woke up with a cough this morning. I thought my husband was going to come unglued. He also caught the cold before the last cold 6 weeks ago (which I did not) which brings our family span of illness up to a total of six weeks.....and (now) counting. "A" will NOT keep her hands out of her mouth, and this week she is doing a new "tongue 1/2 out of her mouth" on occassion trick. The things these kids pick up, honestly.

So, I am home with her this morning, missing my husbands families breakfast. The other kid went with dad and "A" and I are home. Sigh. I also have a big work party to go to this afternoon, and will probably leave her home and take "J." It makes me feel so bad. But, I don't think its proper party-going etiquette to take your petri dish of a kid along.

My husband and I also disagree on what to do with a sick kid. I was always put on the couch with a blanket, kleenex, and forced liquid, so this is my parenting style. He was put in his room. I just don't think with all the bonding that happening around here it's best to put her in her room and ignore her while she heals, maybe I'm wrong.

In the midst of all this, I am reading a hilarious and accurate book about mothering toddler/preschoolers. It's called "Naptime is the new Happy Hour" by Stephanie Wilder-Taylor. This chick is hilarious, and her motherhood stories are spot on with how I feel!

This morning, while I was feeling defeated as a mother because my kid is sick AGAIN, and my husband is mad at the sick kid for being sick (lost cause, my love) and the sick kid is upset about missing the family breakfast ... I was reading my book. Silver lining of having a sick kid, she and I are the only ones home, and she is in a Disney jr. cartoon trance, so the house is completely quiet. Anyway, I'm reading my book, and I come across the chapter on "Stress."

Here is an excerpt that it so blatently true, I laughed out loud for a good 3 minutes:
"The commercial for prenatals could show an extraordinary loving family blissfully frolicking on the beach, while a soothing voice over quickly rattles off the side effects, hoping you won't notice, 'having children may result in insomnia, hypersensitivity, fatigue, constant complaining, gingivitis, difficulty concentrating, irritability, pre-mature graying, disinterest in sex, a filthy living room, uncontrollable urges to binge on salt and vinegar chips, mysterious weight gain, a tendency to forget your own phone number, an unhealthy obsession with germs, increased chance of financial ruin, confusion, and psychosis'."

So, so, so true. And what's not in there, it will cause you and your spouse to fight about the most ridiculous things.

Wait, I volunarily sighed up for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment