Saturday, November 10, 2012

Another Trip to the ER

My older daughter has been on a roll lately.

A couple weeks ago my husband and I went out for our first date night in months. It was our first since we've had the girls. We left them with a responsible teenage babysitter. She only had to entertain them for two hours before bedtime. During that time they played lots of games and according to her were very good. So, we got home, and "A" (our older daughter) was still awake in her bed. I was thinking that she must of really missed us so she stayed up to say goodnight. Not the case.

I went into the bathroom to wash my face, and as I was washing, those little Hi-Ho Cherry-O game pieces started floating up the drain. By the time I'd rinsed, I'd collect 10 of them. Yep. My kid put those down the sink for who knows what reason. To be a menace, honestly. Our older daughter will try anything to see if she can get away with it. She has painted our kitchen with honey, sprayed orange juice on the ceiling, the list goes on.

Anyway, she and my husband took the sink apart and we made her stick her hand in the gooey drain and get the 15 lodged pieces out. Case closed. Mommy and daddy mad!
So yesterday started as any ordinary day. On Friday's I go to work early, and leave by about 1pm. This is my one afternoon a week where I go home and have the afternoon to myself, in an empty quiet house. Yesterday turned out quite differently....

I was packing up my stuff to leave work when preschool called. "A" was laying down on her cot, and she stuck a bean in her ear. Yes, a bean. Non-cooked pinto to be specific. So, my blissful Friday afternoon quickly ended. I had to drive 25 miles from work to daycare to pick her up, and then 25 miles back up to the emergency room, because of course it was Friday afternoon and our pediatricians office was closed.

When I got to daycare I was so mad at her I was shaking. I could see the bean, so I actually tried turning her head to one side to shake it out in the parking lot. It didn't work. Dammit. So off to the ER we went. They got it out no problem. We got back to daycare at about 3:30pm and I wanted to leave her there and have an hour to myself, but I felt guilty so we collected her sister and went home.
Is she traumatized? No. I wish she was so she wouldn't do it again.

I just don't know what's next with this girl.

She better not turn into one of those weirdo adults that heads to the ER because she "fell" on a gerbil.


No comments:

Post a Comment