Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prayers

Every night at dinner before we eat, the girls say their prayer. They always say the same thing, and they learned it somewhere else, because they've done it since their first night here. Their prayer goes: "Thank you God for giving us food, Amen." We've tried to ask them what else they can thank God for, but they don't really understand. We get answers like, "my scooter" or some other random toy.

Last night was different. I sat down with the girls for dinner (my husband wasn't home). I asked them to say their prayer before they ate, and my four year-old said: "Thank you God for giving us food, and for giving us mommy, Amen." My eyes welled up with tears, and I thought my heart was going to burst with the love I felt for these kids in this moment. I got up, picked her up in my arms in a big hug, and said, "you just tickled mommy's heart, I love you so much." Of course then the 3 year-old said the same prayer, and she got hugs and love too.

It's amazing how difficult motherhood truly is. I never realized how tough it can be. But, it's these moments that make us all thankful for having kids. What a wonder they are.

(some one elses angel, not mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment