Sunday, February 12, 2012

Full Heart, Empty Wine Glass

I just got home from spending the weekend with some of my favorite people. And our time together was too short, but amazing. We laughed, drank wine, sangria, bloody marys...ate fried food, slurpees, beef jerky, drove around listening to our high-school radio station, and even got in some much needed dance, dance revolution. We reminisced about the past and dreamt about the future. My heart is full now. And I am so grateful.

I would like to start out by saying a big THANK YOU to the girls in my life who have held my heart in their hands during some tough times.

There are people in our lives that literally reach down, and pull us up when we're on the ground, at our lowest point, trying to dig a hole and lay in it. One of the speakers at my nursing school graduation quoted one of her favorite professors when she stated: "The greatest exercise of the human heart is to reach down and lift another up." Isn't that the truth? And I am so lucky, because I have a handful of friends who have lifted me up through the years.

To the most amazing friends in the world:

Thank you for warming my heart.
Thank you for believing in me when I didn't believe in myself.
Thank you for refocusing me on what's really important in life, and reprimanding me when I perseverate on things that don't matter so much.
Thank you for listening, even when I was being childish, selfish and outright irrational and negative.
Thank you for asking questions about our adoption, and really listening to the answers.
Thank you for crying with me.
Thank you for laughing with me.
Thank you for making the most amazing book of support when my sister died.
Thank you for all the little gifts and trinkets you've already given to your future "niece" or "nephew."

I never forget any of these things, and how precious each of you are to me. I'm sorry that I don't say THANK YOU more.

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment