Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Week To Go...

Yep, you read it right. I met with my doctor yesterday and I will be induced on next Wednesday February 12th at 6am. No. this was not a choice I made if you are wondering, that seems to be the million dollar question from the few people I've told. Because the platelets are low, my blood pressure is up a bit, and my placenta is starting to degenerate (not unsafe, but associated with a full term pregnancy) he thinks its best to go ahead to get things started since I will be 39 weeks. My cervix is already almost thinned out and I'm starting to dilate, so I should respond to an induction treatment called "cervical ripening."

Basically, they take a medication and insert it into the vagina near the cervix and monitor you for an hour. Then, once your hour is up, the have you start walking. After three hours, hopefully some regular contractions are starting. If they don't, they repeat the process with a second dose. Hopefully this will kick start you into labor. For me, I really don't want IV pitocin. I think it would make labor too intense and I am going to try and do this without pain medication. (See prior post about epidural and low platelets). So, if the cervical ripening doesn't work, I will just go home and give myself some more time.

Part of me hopes that my some miracle I go into labor between now and next Wednesday. I want this baby to come in her own time. But, the bleeding risk remains and if the platelets fall further I am putting us at risk for bleeding after delivery. I don't want that either. We did an ultrasound yesterday and she looks great. She measured 6 pounds 11 ounces. At 39 weeks she will be considered a full term baby.

I have been doing a lot of reading, and talking with some friends regarding natural child birth, and the more I learn the more passionate I am to go through the labor process without medication. One thing that I have been told and read over and over again is: "trust your body. Let go, give into the pain and let your body do what it knows to do." That is the truth isn't it? I mean, we were MADE to do this. Women have been giving birth for years and years. But, I started really thinking about this idea of "trusting my body" like if my body were a friend or family member. Like it was a relationship that I had with someone. Me and my body, are we BFF's? Has she let me down?

The short answer is no, she hasn't.

My body stood by me when I was born into this world. All my tiny little parts worked together to make my existence happen. She was there when I took my first steps, and fell down, and ran into a sliding glass door to give myself a black eye growing up. She fought every cold, flu, strep throat, ear infection and who knows what else I exposed her to as the years pressed on. When I tried marijuana, alcohol, and even <cringe> ecstasy in my teen years she did not fail me. She got nauseous but she did not fall apart. My body carried me across the stage at my high school graduation, she kept me awake, alert and healthy through college. She gave me butterflies through my first love to my true love, she protected my heart as it healed after relationships that didn't work out. My body continued to thrive as my first pregnancy failed, and she stayed stable through my surgery. My body kept my heart beating, my lungs breathing, and my consciousness intact as I layed eyes on my deceased sister for the first time. She kept me afloat as I somehow gathered up the strength to speak at my sisters funeral. She kept me cool and calm when I met my daughters and brought them home. She has been abundant in carrying this pregnancy for me.

My body has never failed me yet. Why wouldn't I trust her? Why would I doubt her ability to do one more thing that she was made to do.

I am not going to. I can do this.

I know how to be humbled, and I know also how to abound. In everything and in all things I have learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in need. I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:12-13


No comments:

Post a Comment